Your shopping cart is empty
This is the Spot for learning to photograph kids in Dallas. Once you’ve made your selections, proceed to checkout and you will be taken to a secure PayPal site to enter your credit card information. You do not need a PayPal account. If you do have a PayPal account you can choose to pay with a credit card or log in to you PayPal account and use other funding methods.
Important: During checkout you’ll be asked to agree to the terms and conditions. Please be sure to read this carefully for information about cancellations and refunds. If you have any questions before you sign up, please use the contact page.
Taking Better Pictures of Kids
Full Day Workshop
*Early Registration: $225/person (up to 7 days before class date)
Regular Registration: $245/person
Saturday, 8am-5pm at The Spot Studio (then on location and back again)
Maximum number of students is 12, minimum number to make a workshop is 6
This workshop is for you if you are a parent wanting to take better pictures of your own kids, a photographer looking to start your own portrait photography business or if you simply want to learn some great skills for taking better portraits of young humans.
This workshop is for those who are already familiar with their cameras and comfortable with the P-A-S-M (Nikon) or P-Av-Tv-M (Canon) exposure modes and using different autofocus modes. If you’re a beginner (or have been shooting for a while but still aren’t comfortable with these concepts) you can take our DSLR-1&2 evening classes or the Beginner DSLR Full Day Workshop first or some other equivalent training.
This full day workshop will teach you how to take your basic DSLR skills and apply them to create stunning images of children. The techniques apply to any age subject but the focus here will be kids from the toddler through teen years. It is a combination lecture and hands-on shooting workshop with live models. It will be taught by Margie Woods Brown, a local children’s, wedding and portrait photographer. For more information check out Margie’s Bio and Margie Woods Brown website.
What you’ll learn in the workshop:
- Which combination of exposure and shooting modes make up a magic recipe for photographing kids
- How to use available light to create stunning images
- How to select backgrounds and environments to bring interest, emotion and fun into your photos
- Whether to pose or not to pose (or both!)
- How to find flattering and interesting perspectives
- Which lens(es) to choose
- Effective and age appropriate techniques to create a rapport with your subjects
8am-10pm: We will meet at The Spot Studio for a discussion covering basic concepts and how to prepare for a photo shoot of kids. We will review the basic exposure and focusing modes and Margie will show some of her portraits, illustrating the tips and concepts that we will be covering.
10:30am: On location (to be announced). We will meet on location and spend about 45 minutes scouting for the best light and backgrounds and going over the basic concepts of using available light and shade to our advantage. We will then be joined by our young models and their parents and will spend about 2 hours shooting. Margie will be shooting alongside you and answering your questions to help you to get the images you want.
1:15pm-2:30 You will hand over your memory cards so Margie can download them for the afternoon session. Lunch will be on your own.
2:30-5:00 We’ll meet back up at The Spot Studio for a review and discussion of the shoot and a live edit of everyone’s images. The day will end with a group slide show showcasing your new skills.
What you’ll need:
- A DSLR with a full battery and empty memory card and a basic understanding of how to use your camera and its settings
- The DSLR-1 and DSLR-2 evening classes, Full Day Beginner Workshop or equivalent level of experience is a prerequisite
- Any lenses or accessories you want to use
- A handheld reflector if you have one
- An umbrella if it looks like rain as well as sensible clothes and shoes you can easily move around in
What’s not included:
- Cost of lunch
- Parking (if necessary)